Big test for the rollcage
If they don't impair movement too much (like what was in said video is acceptable for me) and I can still get out of the car with fire extinguisher in hand in under 7 seconds then I might be an early adopter of them. but if they are going to interfere in any way with the control of the car then I will not be keen on them, rather go for a net on the side of the cage (I sit completely inside the cockpit, others that dont may not like the netting idea).

For R300 they are worth a try at the very least.

How do they attach? Over your harness belt clips (the metal part) or over the harness itself? Presume it is the Lap belt section?

At this rate we may all need a helper to get strapped in. Once the arm restraints are on it may be impossible to put your helmet on with a hans device. And I still find it easier to put on the lap belts without the Hans on yet. So it will have to be helmet and Hans on, feel your way around putting your lap belts on with the two rings for the restraints on the belts, then shoulder belts and then gloves.

Another edit: It may also mean that some of us have to relocate our fire extinguishers as with the belts on we may struggle to reach them...
this is the best picture I could come up in a quick google
[Image: p83443_image_large.jpg]

The restraints loop around the metal buckle, so that when you undo the latch they are released simultaniously with the rest of the belts and should not impact on the speed with which you can exit the car.

WRT to the whole belting in procedure I am now forcing myself to follow a very specific sequence when I get in the car to avoid forgetting things, during a recent practise session for instance I got interrupted while strapping myself in and never clipped my HANS device in, luckily I remembered about it a few laps in and managed to clip it in while driving on the straight.
I have been using arm restraints (from ATS R.250) from the begining of the year already. They are easy to use and can be uncliped without loosening the belt clip if you forget something and need a bit more reach. Like the hanns device, after you have used them you will feel vulnerable without them
Glen clark Wrote:I have been using arm restraints (from ATS R.250) from the begining of the year already. They are easy to use and can be uncliped without loosening the belt clip if you forget something and need a bit more reach. Like the hanns device, after you have used them you will feel vulnerable without them

/sarcasm Thanx for sharing Glen ;P [-( oSmile
Sean from ATS sorted me out with a set that I will be trying out for the rest of the season. Anyone interested come and have a look at Zwartkops
I used the arm restraints at the Zwartkops race and must say I did not even notice I had them on while driving.

Getting ready to go out is becoming a bit of a process with the various devices, clips and straps, but once you are in they in its pretty much the same as the HANS device, you dont even notice it.
I also got a set from Sean from ATS which i used for the first time this past weekend at Zwartkops and I agree with Anton, you hardly notice them whilst driving. The only issue i had was the end piece of the adjustment trap got a little stuck on my centre tunnel and interferred with my gear change hand briefly. Will have to either cut or tie these back.

Overall happy and will continue to use these in future.
I found this post from 2009. Interesting thought - Derek and Anton commented on interference during driving, perhaps a good idea to check the ease of release, and possibility of fouling the Exit.

Derek and Anton - would be a good exercise to check if there is any exit interference.

------------------------------

While I am confident better minds than mine are responsible for the introduction of the mandatory hand restraints in Caterham racing in the UK, my personal experience of these garnered from my participation at the Caterham Festival at Donnington Park couple of years back left me unconvinced as to the net benefit that these are supposed to bring to overall safety. Clearly, these are intended to restrain your arms / hands so that they cannot extend beyond the safety of the roll-cage in the event of the car rolling or becoming involved in a collision. However, the manner in which these restraints are tethered by a loop through which the lap straps of the safety harness pass makes far more difficult an emergency exit from the car in the event of a real or potential fire. On releasing the safety harness buckle, the hand restraints foul on the lap strap buckles and, depending on the design of the safety harness, around the buckle lock itself. Releasing these fouled straps is, of course, made doubly difficult by the very fact that they limit, intentionally, free movement of the hands and arms. Happily, I discovered this problem not in an attempt to escape a burning wreck but through the otherwise simple business of trying to do a driver change - a process substantially slowed by the task of freeing the lap strap loops of the hand restraints. When considered in the light of Peter Little's well documented experience in a burning Seven, I still believe that anything that compromises one's ability to get quickly out and clear of the car in an emergency does not represent an overall improvement on safety.
Further interesting reading
If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing - Margaret Thatcher

It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. Noel Coward

Please dont tell my mother I race cars! She thinks I am a piano player in a whorehouse! Actually I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none!
Another scary one Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgGgsX79D20&t=2s
Andre'
Racing: Erm no Sad
Managing:
Lots of Locosts Smile